Wednesday, March 17, 2010

House Beautiful


In Pilgrim’s Progress, that classic book, Christian is journeying through life on his way to the celestial city. Many trials befall him. At one point after a battle that leaves him torn and broken, he picks himself up and begins traveling alone. Then tragedy strikes him and he loses his “scroll”. The word of God is the scroll. He has to back track and find it. He is so worn out and heavy laden. He follows the straight and narrow again and finds himself at a beautiful home. It glows and draws him in but there are fierce animals in front of the home and he is frightened to approach. He comes closer and sees that they are on chains and that if he walks carefully he will not have to worry. They cannot devour him. He makes his way into the home and finds that it is called “House Beautiful”. Charity, Hope and Piety live there and they care for him there and nourish his spirit, mind and body. They also allow him the ability to look out the window at the Delectable Mountains, magnificent mountains to which Christian will be traveling. The future of his journey is there and it is so beautiful and inviting.

Quite a while ago, I was able to experience “House Beautiful”. A wonderful family, allowed me to stay with them and they built me back up. They gave me hope and a future and allowed me to look at the Delectable mountains in the distance of who I am. These are people who are solid. They have experienced everything that life could deal them. Poverty, success, love, rejection and yet their hearts are so balanced and secure in Christ. They dealt grace and comfort to me. They sent me on my way with a vision and a hope for my future.

This family consists of the kind of people who have been through the fire and have come out wiser and shining with gold. Those who live or stay in their presence will feel them pointing in the direction of the Delectable Mountains. They are not “cookie-cutter” Christians. They are full of discernment and wisdom from the school of hard knocks. When you drink from their well, you are refreshed and challenged. I respect them and love them as a special vehicle of God’s love and Grace. Grace is a very rare commodity in this life. Most dedicated Christians have very high standards in this generation. What they forget about is that eventually they will need a soft place to fall, because ALL of us eventually fail and fall way short of the glory of God.

This home revitalized me. When I came here, I had “lost my scroll” and thought that the end was near. What they breathed into me was strength and the belief that the story was not at the end. There was more to come. They sowed into me “HOPE”. What made this family so different was their transparency. They were solid. What they displayed was who they really were. I hope some ministry recognizes the Godliness and the grace of these ministers of grace, but it may just a matter of time before someone with wisdom sees them as the “House Beautiful” and loves and listens to them as the tool of the mighty Holy Spirit.

This amazing family challenged me and breathed life into me. They showed me the delectable mountains. At the time, I did not realize that these mountains would be real and I would live and work in them. Now as I sit in my wonderful home that faces the west and the rocky mountains, I rejoice that this family cared for me. . . loved me and accepted me. I celebrate that they did not offer me “sanctimonious platitudes” or formulas. They offered unconditional love and kindness that rocked my world and breathed life back into me. They also showed me that you don’t have to be “perfect” to have God move on your behalf.

God just keeps on taking care of me and blessing me. He has even given me new friends to love me and help me on this exceptional journey. I have found more people like this special family. They have loved me and cared for me here in Colorado. I would name them but they are too humble. I love the mountains. I am not so sure about the valleys. I think I am on the same path as Christian in Pilgrim’s progress and it feels so right.

No comments:

Post a Comment